Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Meeting Samuel Clemens...

You might or might not know of Samuel Clemens but you must have surely heard of his pen name - Mark Twain.
Even before we moved to the US, I tried to see the places around the place I was going to live. The Mark Twain house was on the top. The small writer in me or really really really wanted to go there once and... we finally got the chance.

A lego made Mark Twain greeted us at the entrance of the visitors centre.
It is amazing to see it all made of lego. Imagine the patience and skill and art and time that must have gone in making it. I was amazed to see it.

and there was a cut out of this. I had to get my picture taken. I don't make a good Mark Twain in picture or writing but there is hope. Please pray that I write the way I am supposed to write.

Though our guide called it Picturesque Gothic architecture. I found
The house to be beautiful inside and out. Here is a groupie of all of us with the house. Oh, did I mention that my sister is in town. She will be with us for a few days. Satu loves her and smiles at her often.

Photography isn't allowed inside the house but I can tell you that it is beautiful. There are over 25 rooms and the guide does a good job of taking you through it and explaining things. It is fascinating to know about Mark Twain. What is more fascinating is - Samuel Clemens. He was a simple, devoted and loving father, unlike the image he has as Mark Twain.

We enjoyed listening to stories of him, both as a father and writer. He was so disciplined. He would write after breakfast and till dinner. He wouldn't take lunch and would produce 4000 words a day. Isn't that something?

I was sad to know that the tour is only an hour long. I wanted more :(

After a satisfying lunch at Chipotle, we took a small walk in Glastonbury arcade and walked in Munsons and did this ;) My little monkey with this big one.


Our day ended with a brief visit to Elizabeth Park. Sadly, it was raining and we didn't go for a stroll as decided but I did see many pretty roses and huge sunflowers and ducks and so many pretty flowers (that I don't know the name to but that really doesn't affect their beauty)

Our day was good. Hope there are more like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment